Monday, June 6, 2016

Book Review: Falling Kingdoms

12954620
Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
Release Date: December 11th, 2012
Publisher: Razorbill
Format of Novel: Paperback
Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
Summary from good reads: In the three kingdoms of Mytica, magic has long been forgotten. And while hard-won peace has reigned for centuries, a deadly unrest now simmers below the surface.

As the rulers of each kingdom grapple for power, the lives of their subjects are brutally transformed... and four key players, royals and rebels alike, find their fates forever intertwined. Cleo, Jonas, Lucia, and Magnus are caught in a dizzying world of treacherous betrayals, shocking murders, secret alliances, and even unforeseen love.

The only outcome that's certain is that kingdoms will fall. Who will emerge triumphant when all they know has collapsed?

It's the eve of war.... Choose your side.

Princess: Raised in pampered luxury, Cleo must now embark on a rough and treacherous journey into enemy territory in search of magic long thought extinct.

Rebel: Jonas, enraged at injustice, lashes out against the forces of oppression that have kept his country cruelly impoverished. To his shock, he finds himself the leader of a people's revolution centuries in the making.

Sorceress: Lucia, adopted at birth into the royal family, discovers the truth about her past—and the supernatural legacy she is destined to wield.

Heir: Bred for aggression and trained to conquer, firstborn son Magnus begins to realize that the heart can be more lethal than the sword....

- - - -
Did you ever wanted to read a book that sparked your love for adventure? A drama that screams love and despair, and loads of swoon of men and spunky girls? Well, that's what I got from this book. As it was blurb to be the 'YA of Game of Thrones", Morgan Rhodes delivered it to full justice. I absoultly fell in love with Falling Kingdoms. It had everything I was craving for at the time I read and I speeded right through it in a matter of days. The world building and the characters, holy crap the characters were cool. Even though they had similar to some of the modern fantasy character tropes that we see in YA fantasy, each of the focused characters had their own arc and it was wonderful. Jonas was the acting avenger like Sasuke from Naruto. Cleo was a semi humble yet sharp princess, and Magnus, oh my poor prince, such a tragic character. Almost like a darker version of Halmet. Lucia was this naïve and innocent girl yet she held her own and kicked ass in the end too. Man, I wanted to hug all of them at once while I was embracing myself in their story till they lost some air from the constant hugging..

The world building was (in my opinion) very standard to a fantasy series. However, it was presented very well with the right amount of pacing when it came down to it. The magical and political systems are somewhat revealed, yet at the same time, we are only touching the basics of it all and that's perfectly fine with me. I want to enjoy the world that our characters are enduring so I don't have to feel out of the loop and with the semi-slow info dump and the multiple point of views, it was good.

Another thing I also truly enjoyed was a couple of hidden stuff I've noticed in terms of tropes. Can we be grateful that the main four are literally like realistic young adults?? As a twenty two year old reader, I'm starting to crave the realistic stuff like "Teens drinking, smoking, sex before marriage' shindig as I'm reading and I was so happy when I read that Cleo wasn't a virgin. It's such a minor thing, but that small detail made me respect Cleo so damn much as a young lady. She's flawed, but she's becoming her own being or queen in a sense for her kingdom. She quickly became my favorite with her attitude and willingness to do shit for her family. Yet she's a snarky little bitch with her quick impulse when taking action. The other thing did also shine in their own way, but I think Cleo shinned a little more in this own. Don't get me wrong, I loved the other three and their point of views, but Cleo took my heart in this own.

The overall plot and battle between the three kingdoms was epic and emotional. It was predictable with some of the stuff like Jonas' character and how the battle was going to be foretold. Which is why I didn't give this book a five star rating on good reads. But, in the end, it was very exciting. I highly recommend this book to anyone truly starting in the fantasy genre while reading. This book is a start to an epic series that will knock the wind out of you and will make you crave more than you realize after flipping the last page.

No comments:

Post a Comment