Thursday, May 28, 2015

Book Review: Switched

Switched (a Trylle novel): written by Amanda Hocking
Released date: January 1st, 2010 (self published in E-book)/January 3rd, 2012 (Official book form)
Publisher: St. Martin Griffin
Format of Book: Paperback (bind up of the trilogy)
Summary (from good reads): When Wendy Everly was six-years-old, her mother was convinced she was a monster and tried to kill her. It isn't until eleven years later that Wendy finds out her mother might've been telling the truth. With the help of Finn Holmes, Wendy finds herself in a world she never knew existed- and it's one she's not sure if she wants to be a part of.. (First book to the Trylle trilogy)
- - - -- - -
*I apologize if I'm out of practice with the reviews for a little bit, but I just got home from college so I'll get back in the full swing of things within a couple of days.*

So Switched in my personal opinion was an okay novel. It definitely presented itself as a build-up novel for the trilogy, which is fine by me, but as someone that just finished finals- I was impatient. The story itself was pretty cool in terms of the idea of it. I mean, I rarely see young adult stories about trolls other than Tolkin and J.K Rowling's stories, and I thought her using that concept was pretty cool. It was an original idea and Hocking has my respect for that, but I felt that the characters were a bit dry and no one was really progressing until the very end. Then again, this is a beginning novel for the trilogy, so Hocking did a good job keeping an open door for the characters to grow even more.

I did like how Finn and Wendy were progressing once they got to Trylle. They kept that weird humane emotion alive despite the fact Wendy's mother Queen Elora was a royal bitch for the majority of the book and the other characters were here and there during the lighter scenes. All of the characters had different personalities that blended with one another, keeping them fresh and have room to develop in the next two books.

The pacing kept me going for the book because I wanted to see more action from the characters and the changes within the political system. The political system in the Trylle world was interesting and I felt that it was the star point of the story, considering Wendy ends up going from normal teenage girl to future queen. I'm not one to enjoy these sort of things, but I still want to see what happens and how Wendy will change the system once she does become queen. The wording was also very simple and clear enough for me to keep going to read more about Wendy's adventure in this new land.

Overall, Switched isn't so bad, but its slow for a beginning novel to the trilogy in my personal opinion. I am going to read the rest of Wendy's story to see how everything turns out. But, I felt that this novel could've have a little more drama into it other than a bitchy mother and an over protective foster brother. I would also love to see Finn have an sudden ability, but maybe it will happen, maybe not. Who knows.

Happy Howling everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment