Monday, October 19, 2015

Anti-Heroes: Vicious revenge for All

Hey guys, I recently brought this lovely book in paperback, and holy crow did I love it! (Hence forth the special title down below). This review is basically going to have me fan-girling like a crazed lunatic, but I'll try to maintain an honest review about this lovely book. So let's begin shall we?


13638125
Vicious (book #1) by V.E Schwab
Release Date: September 24th, 2013
Publisher: Tor
Format of Novel: Paper back
Rating: 5/5 stars
Summary (from good reads): Victor and Eli started out as college roommates—brilliant, arrogant, lonely boys who recognized the same sharpness and ambition in each other. In their senior year, a shared research interest in adrenaline, near-death experiences, and seemingly supernatural events reveals an intriguing possibility: that under the right conditions, someone could develop extraordinary abilities. But when their thesis moves from the academic to the experimental, things go horribly wrong. Ten years later, Victor breaks out of prison, determined to catch up to his old friend (now foe), aided by a young girl whose reserved nature obscures a stunning ability. Meanwhile, Eli is on a mission to eradicate every other super-powered person that he can find—aside from his sidekick, an enigmatic woman with an unbreakable will. Armed with terrible power on both sides, driven by the memory of betrayal and loss, the archnemeses have set a course for revenge—but who will be left alive at the end?
- - -
When I first heard about this story, the premise was the one thing that got me hooked so fast that I wanted it so badly. But, I wanted it in paper back so I waited, and waited until I got up and brought it with joy. I was so stoked and let's just say I wasn't disappointed in this book. The flow of the writing was so fluid, it was almost like I was reading a comic book and the twists, oh my god. I regret not reading this book sooner. I was literally going bananas in front of my dad while he was watching his Mets game and took in the jokes when they started over my fan girling. And the way the chapters were set, it was literally like watching a movie in your head. I wanted to take my time with this book, but everything in V.E Schwab's writing kept forcing me to read this book till very end.

But, let's get real here guys, what really brought us to enjoying this book? You guessed it, the characters. Victor, Eli, Mitch, etc. They're all so amazing! I'm forever Team Victor because of his personality and his way to stay loyal to his motives. He's shown to be a introverted, brilliant person, yet I felt that he wanted to be loved. He was lonely and I kept thinking, if he was more open with his emotions, than maybe things would be okay for him. But then again, he wouldn't be the Victor I love if he didn't act the way he did in the book. I loved the growing bonds he, Mitch, and Sydney are creating throughout the present chapters. They're almost like a family unit and it brought a little bit of normalcy into this story.

Eli was also an interesting person because he was the one that came up with the theory of E.Os. In someway, he did dragged Victor into it with their growing curiosity melding together as a single unit, and turned this one thing into something huge. I almost seemed to see Eli as a possible cult leader. He was charming and gentle enough to lure people into his revenge against Victor for accidently killing his girlfriend (and Victor's friend). But, I don't like the way how he thought himself as God of the E.Os. It was a little too much in my opinion, but it was necessary because of the events that unfolded in the 'past' between the two friends. His 'girlfriend' was also a nice additional into his adventure to killing the other E.Os. She reminded me of Lillith/the serpent. And I almost cheered very loudly when she died in the end, but also felt bad because of certain things I cannot really explain until the second book comes out.

Overall, this book was fantastic. It was filled with suspense, anti-heroes, and paranormal elements that shinned nicely throughout the tale. This entire story almost felt like a biblical movement, but I enjoyed it because of how crazy every character was portrayed. I can't wait for the second book now even though I thought the ending to this book was a great way to end Victor's story. If this was your favorite book, tell me in the comments below about your thoughts. I'll see you guys soon with another review. Happy howling!


No comments:

Post a Comment