Friday, July 11, 2014

Book Review: The Restless Dead

The Restless Dead (Ten Original stories of the Supernatural): Written by M.T Anderson, Holly Black, Kelly Link, Libba Bray, Herbie Brennan, Nancy Etchemendy, Annette Curtis Klause, Deborah Noyes, Marcus Sedgwick, Chris Wooding
Release Date: July 10th, 2007
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Format of Novel: Paper back
Summary (From good reads)Enter the murky world of the undead. From a beyond-the-grave stalker to prankster devil worshippers, from a childish ghost of the future to a vampire lover with bloody ties to the past, the characters in these ten original stories will send shivers down your spine. Why do we fear the undead? Find out in this spooky companion volume to GOTHIC! TEN ORIGINAL DARK TAKES, and enjoy another graveyard walk in the company of ten contemporary masters of horror and suspense.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
I remember a few years ago that my mother gotten me this book to read. Thinking that it was a zombie book, I decided not to read it mainly because I'm not a huge fan of zombies in novels. (due to the over popularized books/shows/movies of the creature of the un dead). But since I started my job a couple of weeks ago, I decided to give a chance and man I wish I could slap my past self in the face for being stupid with books. This collection of short paranormal stories kept me on my feet and interested with each page that was turned.

The stories were a weird thing since they were pretty long. I honestly couldn't understand most of the stories that were being told, but as I gotten to the end they were about mainly ghosts, murderers, and the psychological aftermath with the families and individuals that were telling the story. Out of all stories in this book, my top favorite one was Bad Things by Libba Bray. Her story in particular was the one I was most curious about because it was about a young man and his friends trying to figure out what's causing the rise of the satanist rituals and mysterious deaths of other people. The way it was written was a page turner since it felt like you were looking at another thriller and you think that everyone was gonna die at the end, however that wasn't the case. The ending of this short story was very amazing and I was pleased with the way she wrote it as a twist.

With this book, I was pleased with the authors that wrote the ten short stories in this. I was able to understand the concept of some supernatural fiction and the methods of writing longer short stories without chapters. If you guys are aspiring paranormal writers like I am, then pick up this book to explore new authors if you haven't heard of these guys before. :)

Happy Howling!

No comments:

Post a Comment