Saturday, September 5, 2015

Book Review: The Program

11366397

The Program (Program #1): written by Suzanne Young
Release Date: April 30th, 2013
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Format of Novel: Nook
Rating: 3.5/5 stars
Summary (from good reads): In Sloane’s world, true feelings are forbidden, teen suicide is an epidemic, and the only solution is The Program.

Sloane knows better than to cry in front of anyone. With suicide now an international epidemic, one outburst could land her in The Program, the only proven course of treatment. Sloane’s parents have already lost one child; Sloane knows they’ll do anything to keep her alive. She also knows that everyone who’s been through The Program returns as a blank slate. Because their depression is gone—but so are their memories.

Under constant surveillance at home and at school, Sloane puts on a brave face and keeps her feelings buried as deep as she can. The only person Sloane can be herself with is James. He’s promised to keep them both safe and out of treatment, and Sloane knows their love is strong enough to withstand anything. But despite the promises they made to each other, it’s getting harder to hide the truth. They are both growing weaker. Depression is setting in. And The Program is coming for them.
- - - -
(Trigger warnings throughout the book about suicide)
I read this within a 1.5 day span, so my mind is still fresh to this book. The idea of suicide being an epidemic to this book's society is surprisingly original. I was rather iffy on the idea because while the thing about teen suicide is very true in reality, but idea of this being an dystopian novel is confusing to me personally. I don't get it to be frank with you all and I'm sure many of you avid readers would agree with me too. But, if you don't I understand. I applaud Suzanne Young for spreading awareness about teen suicide to the readers, but I wish she did it for a darker contemporary novel. Dystopian in my opinion, is more chaotic and action-packed like the Hunger Games and Legend, this novel held a modern and 'real' life vibe.

Anyway, this book's dynamic is fascinating. The program the author describe is creepy and yet helpful. I wouldn't want to get rid of my memories though, I feel that as a person, we have to experience the 'traumas' to grow up. The way people are dying in this book feels ehh because I kept picturing the news about them as similar to the movie- The Happening. However, the characters Sloane and James are so freaking cute. Their romance was so dream-like and perfect up until they got stuck at the program themselves. (Won't spoil you guys about how they got there). They were the perfect balance for each other and I'm glad their hearts found each other again as the story progressed.


The other characters were given a decent spotlight and the twists were well executed throughout the book, but they were noticeable right away if read closely. This book has some mixed reviews from good reads and myself, henceforth the rating above. Though, I do suggest reading it for the heck to get your own opinion on it. And also to  become more aware of the seriousness of suicide, especially for teens. Everyone deals with depression in some shape or form and if they feel like committing this act, try to be there for them so they don't feel so alone in the world.


Alright so that was my review for Suzanne Young's The Program. Tune in sometime next week for the review of the sequel, The Treatment and other random book reviews. Till then, happy howling!

No comments:

Post a Comment