Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Book Review: Throne of Glass

 
Throne of Glass Written by: Sarah J. Maas
Release date: August 7th, 2012
Publisher: Bloomsburys USA Children's
Format of Novel: Hardcover
Summary *from goodreads*: In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien.

The crown prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass-- and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.

(Warning: There will be some fan-girling in this review)
- - - -
 
I'm in the middle of re-reading this entire series in perparation for the upcoming release of Queen of Shadows in September. I received this book in the original cover from the bf when it first came out, and I pretty much read this book like a speed demon. (Mainly due to the idea of having my foot fixed from surgery during the summer and I was bored). This book was a great start to the never-ending series. The reader was able to see Celaena develop from an arrogant and violent killer, to an actual beautiful and powerful warrior. I loved how she was such a balanced character. On one hand, you got a bad-ass, beautiful assassin out for revenge and freedom, and then on the other hand, you have this girly-girl who loves fashion and all things shiny. It was awesome with how Sarah J. Maas did that and it made me want to read more about Celaena's journey to freedom.
 
Not only was she was amazing, but the guys -fans self- are hot. I love Carol with a fiery passion. He is a hottie in my eyes and I support the fanbase of him and Celaena being together! Of course he's the strong silent type, but at the same time, he's gentle and holds loyalty in his heart for people he believes in. Yes I do agree about him being a idiot with social interactions, but he's still awesome. Plain and simple. Dorian was another cutie, but I felt as so he needed to wing himself out of the 'prince' role. He's a ladies man and yet, he does hold a certain type of innocence that makes you want to hug him to bits. In a personal opinion, I thought he was somewhat annoying and he didn't really shine as a major character in my eyes. Mostly because this was in fact the beginning novel of the six-book series.

Another thing I loved in this book was the friendship between Celaena and Princess Nehemia. I loved the loyalty the two had for one another with their common interests and their curiosity for the fae magic that disappeared from their world. Nehmia brought out the best out Celaena and I wished that she was more involved in the competition than she was in this book. In the sequel, Crown of Midnight, I know she's plays a major roles so I look forward to seeing their friendship grow stronger once again.

Sarah J. Maas brought her world to life with bits of information that was suitable for a debut that made you excited for more. She didn't go overboard with it and took her time with the flow within the pacing  The world building was executed nicely and the evolution of this story from a classic Cinderella re-telling to an epic fantasy was really well done.

If you are a fan of re-tellings or high fantasy stories like Game of Thrones, then I highly consider this book for you. Especially if you want a kick-ass female protagonist. See you guys in the next review. Happy Howling.

No comments:

Post a Comment