Sunday, June 15, 2014

A new discovery: Weird Fiction

Hey everyone, happy father's day!

Hope everything is going well. So this weekend has been a odd yet exciting one for a couple of reasons. One: I got a job and I start Monday morning. And two: I've been researching again. To me, researching literary stuff is a breath of fresh air because I have been in a slump lately, and after finding out that I was hired somewhere brought my spirits right back up. It's exciting to feel like an actual almost twenty one year old and having the ability to earn my own cash, but it is also nerve wrecking because of the fears of messing up in front of the public. But, as a writer, I know I have to build up the courage to speak to people one day and this new job will be the ideal concept for me to learn.

Speaking of learning, like I said a moment ago, I have been researching. I wanted to re educate myself with the different types of fiction the entire world likes to create. For example, psychological, speculative, and so forth. However, by my surprise when I was looking up the horror fiction, I stumbled upon a whole different concept of ghost fiction. I'm sure you guys probably have heard of this particular type of fiction I'm going to explain to you, but in case you haven't-- allow me to explain it to you. Surprisingly, its called "Weird Fiction". Odd right? Even I was surprise about it.

Weird fiction is a concept of ghost/macabre stories, and a sub genre of speculative fiction. It was created around the late 19th century and the early 20th century. The concept of weird fiction focuses on a specific elements of horror, supernatural, and fantasy. As it blends in with other elements like mysticism and scientific, the word 'macabre' is taken very seriously in writing. If readers and writers were to understand macabre and enjoy in literature, just make sure you are mentally and emotionally prepare for it since macabre is the concept of absolute gore and violence. When reading a novel with macabre in it, you have to breathe in the air of death, the un-dead, and hell. And writers, you have to deliver it if you want to scare the crap out of your fellow readers. If you want inspiration of this sort of thing, read some Edgar Alan Poe, Stephen King, and H.P Lovecraft. In America literature, they are the kings of this sort of thing. As for the multi-cultural literature, look into Hans Holbein the Younger and Ingmar Bergman.

Bottom line here is, weird fiction is around and hopefully it will continue to grow even stronger with the speculative stories in the near future. I hope you guys enjoyed this little lesson and I'll see you all tomorrow. Happy Howling.

No comments:

Post a Comment