Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Book Review: Scarlet

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2): Written by Marissa Meyer
Release Date: February 5th, 2013
Publisher: Feiwel & Friends
Format of Novel: Paperback
Summary (from goodreads): ~Second book to the series~ Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison--even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive. Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner
- - - - - -
~Warning; there are some spoilers if you haven't read the first book yet~

As promised, this is the review for the second book of the Lunar Chronicles. Upon reading this, I got into more than the first book for a couple of reasons. One-- I love the red riding hood fairy tale and two, I loved Scarlet and Wolf. Both of these characters shined and they truly took everything to the next level to the series in my eyes. Now before I give my intake on how much I enjoyed these two, allow me to go about the other parts of the story.

In the exciting sequel to the Lunar Chronicles, the story takes place right after Cinder is arrested for her crimes in the palace and in a brand new location (fictional Paris/France). By doing this, readers were allow to experience the continuation of older characters with their struggles and see the beginning parts of how the newer characters are forced into Cinder's now longer quest to defeat the Lunar queen. Unlike the previous story, I thought that in terms of pacing, Scarlet was faster in some areas because of the increased action with Wolf and Scarlet as they go to rescue Scarlet's grandmother. And because of it, it made me enjoy the concept of the two newest characters as a whole along with Captain Throne and how they are now a part of the action. This book in general was a enjoyable read and it makes me really want to go buy Cress right now! Any who, speaking of the new characters, let's talk about them.

Since the story was based on the concept of the Little Red Riding Hood, Marissa Meyer focused on the developments of Scarlet (red riding hood) and Wolf (the big bad wolf) as key characters for the series. I truly loved these two as characters because of how much different they yet she kept their roles as those specific characters in check. I loved Scarlet for being spunky yet gentle and passionate about everything in life. She made me want to hug her and connect with her so she wasn't so alone in her quest since you know... (For those who read this will get what I mean here). Yet she also made me feel like I should run away from her since I don't want her shooting me with that gun xD. As for Wolf, man he is one handsome cutie pie. He's strong, angry, passionate, yet so shy and unsure about everything. I loved him more than Prince Kai and Throne. Wolf in my eyes is exactly want Cinder and her rag-team of awesomeness needs to get the ball rolling so I was in awe to see him becoming a key member of the group.

In general, this story was an excellent installment for the Lunar Chronicles. It will keep you wanting more, the character are very memorable, and writing is beautiful. If you haven't picked up the first two books of this series, please do so if you are looking for new stories to read. Happy Howling!

No comments:

Post a Comment