Monday, June 9, 2014

Book Review: Cinder

Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1): Written by Marissa Meyer
Release Date: January 3rd, 2012
Publisher: Fewiel and Friends
Format of Novel: Hardcover
Summary (From Goodreads): ~Book one to a four book series~ Humans and androids crowd the raucous streets of New Beijing. A deadly plague ravages the population. From space, a ruthless lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth’s fate hinges on one girl. 

Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She’s a second-class citizen with a mysterious past, reviled by her stepmother and blamed for her stepsister’s illness. But when her life becomes intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai’s, she suddenly finds herself at the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her world’s future.
- - - - - - -
Before I read Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas, I never knew there was another modern 're-telling' of the epic fairy tale Cinderella, until I read this book. At first I wasn't too keen about the sci-fi concept towards this novel, however once I did a little research and read the book after it was release, I fell in love with the story. The story is about a young teenage mechanic named Cinder and her quest to figure out the mysterious lunar queen after encountering the young and very handsome Prince Kai. In her world, you get to experience it in different sectors, but in this first book, the story focuses on New Beijing and the current plague that is hurting the majority of the population. The setting in the story was told a very interesting way. In my head, it felt like i was dealing with a sci-fi world with all of the mentioning of the futuristic technology, but when I read this, I quickly fell in love with the narrative and the characters. Those couple of things made the story more interesting and entertaining.

Out of the characters so far in the series, I have to say that Cinder is really one of the main favorites in my heart. I loved how she is a outsider to many people, yet she is willingly to do anything to fulfill her younger sister's dying wish and figure out the meaning behind the Lunars. She shows the qualities of a female protagonist with intelligence, bravery, girly awkwardness, but she is also sensitive, emotional and so forth. 

One of the only things I didn't like about her was the way she let people abuse her verbally. I mean, yes I do understand the idea that she has to muster the hidden courage and get that push out of her, but I think by the time she does take action where the climax in the story takes place-- she is already a weaker character in my eyes and things are deadpan towards the end. However, its also makes sense since we do get to Cinder becoming a even more stronger character as the series progresses. Sometimes I just don't enjoy the concept of the first book to a series being at odds with the climax and falling action, but in the end I had to remember that this story is based on a different idea of Cinderella so your gonna see the missing shoe, the epic escape and everything else that is related to the story.

Over all, I enjoyed Meyer's debut and I just read the second book, Scarlet. I recommend this series for those that really enjoy these particular modern fairy tales. Marissa Meyer is a powerful, energetic, and talented writer. You will learn how to feel inspire with her amazing world building and crave more as each page is turned.

Stay tune for tomorrow for my review on Scarlet! Happy Howling my fellow wolves.


No comments:

Post a Comment