Sunday, June 7, 2015

Book Review: Ascend

Ascend (a Trylle Novel) written by: Amanda Hocking
Release Date: April 24th, 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Format of Book: Paperback (bind up of trilogy)
Summary (From Goodreads): Wendy Everly is facing an impossible choice. The only way to save the Trylle from their deadliest enemy is by sacrificing herself. If she doesn't surrender to the Vittra, her people will be thrust into a brutal war against an unbeatable foe. But how can Wendy leave all her friends behind.. even if it's the only way to save them?

The stakes have never been higher, because her kingdom isn't the only thing she stands to loose. After falling for both Finn and Loki, she's about to make the ultimate choice.. who to love forever. One guy has finally proven to be the love of her life-- and now all their lives might be coming to an end.

Everything has been leading to this moment. The future of her entire world rests in her hands--- if she's ready to fight for it.

(This review has spoilers, please don't read if you haven't read the trilogy). *Apologizes for posting a day late*
- - - -
Out of all of the books, I found Ascend to be the best one out of the entire Trylle Trilogy. Compare to the other books, this one had given me what I was looking with the dramatic standpoints and the fights. It matched the fast pacing in the wording and I was glad to read it to the very end. Wendy finally grew up to be a respectable queen and it was amazing to see how much effort she had to pull in order to achieve peace. The other characters involved in a good pace as well, though I kept questioning about what happened to Rhys because he appeared in a couple of chapters and then he suddenly went poof. I love Rhys as a character so I was a little bitter about it when I couldn't find him anywhere else in the book. I mean, maybe I missed him when I was reading, but I'm not so sure.

The fight between Wendy and her father was very quick yet it was the 'big' moment for Wendy because she ended up evolving into the proper queen she was suppose to become at the end. Though at the same time, I really wanted to see more of the fight, I felt that it was rushed and a little weak. Maybe its because I'm use to reading prolonged battles from manga and other fantasy series, but in a personal opinion, this fight was meyhh yet important to Wendy's character development.

I really enjoyed how most of the major characters were able to get a 'happy' ending so to speak. Everyone was able to find that inner peace and they began the build up for a better future and in Hocking's new trilogy "Kanin Chronicles", readers will be able to see the 'new world' that Wendy and her friends are re-building. I'm not sure if I'm going to read that particular series, but maybe in the near future I will.

Overall, this trilogy was pretty good, it was unique and very fast pace. The character each had their own personalities to make them lively and original, and the concept of the trolls was cool as well. If you want to read about something completely different in terms of fantastical creatures, read this trilogy. See you guys next time for another book review and more.

Happy Howling everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment