Friday, June 19, 2015

Book Review: Sapphique

Sapphique (Incarceron #2) written by: Catherine Fisher
Release date: September 18th, 2008
Publisher: Hodder Children's Books
Format of book: Paperback
Summary (from Good Reads): Finn has escaped from the terrible living Prison of Incarceron, but its memory torments him, because his brother Keiro is still inside. Outside, Claudia insists he must be king, but he doubts even his own identity. Is he the lost prince Giles? Or are his memories no more than another construct of his imprisonment?

(Possible spoilers from the first book)
- - - - -
This book was the dramatic conclusion to the infamous duology, Incarceron. Compare to the first book, I felt that this book was a 50/50 thing when it came to everything. The plot of the story began a few months after Finn escape from the hell hole. You got different things going on with various point of views, which allows us as the reader to see the variety of the aftermath and the new mysteries.

I wasn't a huge fan of this book because it felt dry in certain parts. The characters didn't develop any further as I would normally see when reading trilogies, but the second book to the duology in my opinion didn't leave a fantastic conclusion. However, I did enjoy some parts of the story with the different point of views. It was nice to see the different angles of the focused characters and it was a nice touch to the book. I especially that I liked the scenes with Attia, she developed a lot more than Claudia did. But, considering this was about Finn's story, I felt that Fisher could've used Attia and Keiro's adventure in another book. Keiro was a great choice to tag along with Attia.

I wanted to embrace more of Finn and I didn't think we didn't get that with this book. Sure, he had to prove that he was indeed the long-lost prince, but given his amazing ability to tell stories and his tricks he learned from his oath-brother. Maybe it was an odd mystery of falsehood and political secrets, but since this duology is based on Finn and the journey he was forced to embark on to escape from the prison, we'll never know. (Unless, we re-read it ten times or are really into political undertones in books).

With the twist about Jared, it wasn't as dramatic as I wanted too. But, I liked it overall. The other characters were somewhat annoying as well, especially Claudia, Casper, and the fake Giles. (Burn them with fire). I almost didn't finish the book when I had to read scenes involving them. I just wanted to throw my book at the wall. Although, if it was for the vivid descriptions of this world and the scenes with Attia and Keiro; then we wouldn't be having this review today.

All-in-all, this duology was decent, the political system in the prison was well written. The characters were cool, but I wish that they developed more in my perspective. And the adventures were a great thing to read about.

What about you guys? Did you enjoy this duology? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be back with another post tomorrow. Happy Howling!




No comments:

Post a Comment