Thursday, June 4, 2015

Book Review: Torn

Torn (a Trylle Novel) written by: Amanda Hocking
Release Date: February 28th, 2012
Publisher: St. Martin's Griffin
Format of Book: Paperback (bind up of trilogy)
Summary (From Goodreads): When Wendy Everly first discovers the truth about herself-- that she's a changeling switched at birth-- she knows her life will never be the same. Now she's about to learn that there's more to the story..

She shares a closer connection to her Vitta rivals than she ever imagined-- and they'll stop at nothing to lure her to their side. With the threat of war looming, her only hope of saving the Trylle is to master her magical powers-- and marry an equally powerful royal. But that means walking away from Finn, her handsome bodyguard who's strictly off limits.. and Loki, a Vitta prince with whom she shares a growing attraction.

Torn between her heart and her people, between love and duty, Wendy must decide her fate. If she makes the wrong choice, she could lose everything, and everybody, she's ever wanted.. in both worlds.
- - -
(This contains a few spoilers for those who haven't read 'Switched'.)

This is the second book to the Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking and unlike the other one, I really enjoyed Torn. The book was fast-paced like the first one and I loved how the characters were shining more in their personalities and growth. It helped me developed the patience to keep going with the story. At this time, I'm just about to finish with the final and I'm glad that Hocking managed to build up more of the political aspect in her world building.

Now with Loki, I liked how there was a twist with his character development and that he's trying to prove his worth to be with Wendy, but of course you gotta have the little mystery to the new love interest. It's almost like he was the guy version of Wendy, which was weird, but okay in a way. And with Tove? I sort of already figured out he was gay, but he's such a sweetheart. I wanted to hug him. I'm glad he's willingly to help Wendy out and protect the people he loves, but I hope he finds his true love someday. I'm also very happy that Matt is now part of the journey with Wendy, he is such a perfect big brother. I can't wait to see more of him in the next book.

What I didn't like was how Finn and Wendy's relationship developed throughout this book. It almost mirrored her biological parents' relationship, but at the same time, with the world's political rules that separates them for being a couple, it made it difficult for me to feel sympathy towards them. I just wish there was more development in Finn's character to see if he is going end up with Wendy or not, or at least, fight for her in the right way.

Speaking of Wendy's biological parents, I really disliked how it was predictable to see Wendy's father being the Vitta King. I think in my own personal idea, I would've wanted the Vitta king to be someone like the Chancellor since he's obsessed with Wendy in a sexual way, but I guess this idea was pretty cool. Queen Elora is starting to grow on me, I felt bad for her and the life she had endured before she gave birth to Wendy. It shows that she had potential to become a great mother if her 'husband' didn't want to kill her and she didn't have to dealt with the switched rule for the babies.

On good reads, I gave this book a 3.5 star rating out of five (even though it says 4 stars). It was a good continuation of the trilogy, just wish there was more action instead of training and weird ass romantic attempts on Wendy, and that the 'twists' were more 'holy shit' than 'ohh okay' moments. Hopefully in the last book, things will more dramatic and action-packed. Overall, Amanda Hocking really gave the title name 'Torn' light in her story. I will be back on Saturday with the review for the last book of the Trylle Trilogy. I will be going all out with spoilers and my overall opinion in the trilogy. So if you don't want to be spoiled on the book, please read the trilogy first.

Happy Howling.

No comments:

Post a Comment