Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Book Review: Tsura

26527726

Tsura (Tsura #1) Written by: Heather Anastasiu
Release Date: August 18th, 2015/September 20th, 2015
Publisher: Self Published/Net galley
Format of Novel: E-book arc on Nook
Rating: 4.5/5 stars
Summary (from good reads): In WWII Romania, Tsura, a young Roma (gypsy) woman, has no choice but to leave her lover, Andrei, behind and marry the grandson of the man whose basement she and Andrei have been hiding in. An epic WWII saga, for fans of The Bronze Horseman and Outlander.

“It won’t be a real marriage.” Tsura put her hands to Andrei’s shirt and pulled him in close. “I’ll never share a bed with him. I love you. I only do what I must to keep us all safe. Once the war ends, it’ll be as if it never was.” She caught his face in her hands. “I am only yours, Andrei.”

“Yes, you’re only mine,” Andrei bent over and growled in her ear. “When you put on that dress for him and walk down the aisle in that ugly goy church,” he kissed her hard before putting a strong hand to the back of her neck, pulling her forehead to his, “you think of me, here. When you say your vows to that man, you remember that it’s me who has owned your body tonight.” He again pressed his lips to hers. It was a claiming.
(Received this book from Net galley in exchange for honest review)
- - -
This novel was the first one I've ever read from this author, I couldn't believe how much I loved it once I started it. I loved learning about the WWII era so this completely caught my eye once I saw it on Net galley. There was so much emotion and angst elements into this that I almost cried and I rarely cry when it comes to books. I was quickly able to tell how much research Anastasiu put into this novel without groaning in complaint about it. She did an amazing job with the research so it made the story so realistic in my eyes.

Plot wise, this book was different because I've never read a lot of historical fiction other than The Book Thief so I was happily surprised about it. We follow the gypsy by the name Tsura and her struggles to stay alive and have a happy ending with her beloved Andrei whose Jewish. She's forced into a marriage with a friend of her lost brother's to keep up with appearances. Over the course of the time, she ends up learning the truth about her brother and starts making a change for herself and for others that she meets along the way. I can't really explain as much, but this book was powerful in that dynamic.

Since this is a duology, I'm not going to explain much of this expect telling you about how fantastic this book was to read on my nook when not working away at retail haha. Yes there is a lot of information dumping with the short number of chapters, but in the end, its worth it because of how strong willed Tsura as a woman and keeping to her role as gypsy in tack because it brought out a awareness to me that things were a struggle for not only Jewish people, but to others as well that weren't considered 'normal' in the Nazi's eyes. Overall, this story was strong, emotional, and this reader here is waiting for the stunning conclusion of this duology.

No comments:

Post a Comment