Monday, December 7, 2015

Gods meet children, children meet Adventure of a lifetime! (Part one)

2818728186561456

The Lightning Thief/Sea of Monsters/The Titan's Curse: Written by Rick Riordan
Release Dates: 4/16/05, 4/1/06, 5/7/07
Format of Novel: Nook
Ratings: 5/5, 4/5, 4.5 Stars
- - -

I need to make a confession, I only just started reading books by this author as of early this year. When I first heard of it, I was in my freshman year of college and listening to book tubers fan girl/boy about it. And I'll be honest, I wasn't going to pick up his books like Percy Jackson or his Egyptian-inspired trilogy because I fell in love with other books. However, when I started taking classes like mythology, fantasy, and so forth; Rick Riordan's name kept popping up. And as a result to it, I started buying his books, specifically a bind up of the first three books to his Percy Jackson series. And Let me just say, I regret not reading them in the past. I loved them and read them in a three day's span. Riordan has such a way with his writing that allows people to connect with the lore and characters naturally. I very much enjoyed the writing style, Rick Riordan was able to activate his inner child to make the start of this series so entertaining for children who are starting to take reading as an interest.

I'm sure you all know what this series is really about, but if you don't then allow me to explain. This series focuses on the young protagonist by the name Percy Jackson and his discovery of being a demi-god, a son to a God of Greek mythology. We follow his adventure as he tries to uncover more of his powers and the new world around him. We see him meeting characters with their own personalities and god-like abilities I.e Annabeth and Grover, and many more that I probably shouldn't state right now since most of you already read this series already.

One of the things I really like in this series is the concept of the magical realism we are told throughout the books. It reminded me a little bit of Harry Potter, minus the spell names of course. But, we are forced to focus on the importance of names, and other common fantasy tropes we don't tend to notice right away. This is just me stating these things due to the classes I took in college, but I felt that this was cool and well done. It makes us aware as fantasy readers/writers and sometimes we have to follow these tropes to make our stories more pronounced I wanna say, but yeah. Rick Riordan took his time with this series and it turned out so beautiful and my younger sister and cousin enjoy his books too.

Overall, the start of this series was fantastic and I'm dying to spend the money to purchase the rest of this series (and yes, I plan to buy the companion series as well). Percy Jackson is such a fun and humorous character and I want to see how far he's willingly to go stop Hades and Ares from possibly taking over the world. And also see how far Percy and Annabeth's relationship is gonna take place!

No comments:

Post a Comment