Saturday, August 29, 2015

Book Review: Heir of Fire



20613470

Heir of Fire (TOG #3) Written by: Sarah J. Maas
Release Date: 9/2/2014
Publisher: Bloomsbury's Children
Format of Novel: Hardcover
Rating: 4.8/5 stars
Summary (from good reads):
She was the heir of ash and fire, and she would bow to no one.

Celaena Sardothien has survived deadly contests and shattering heartbreak—but at an unspeakable cost. Now she must travel to a new land to confront her darkest truth...a truth about her heritage that could change her life—and her future—forever.

Meanwhile, brutal and monstrous forces are gathering on the horizon, intent on enslaving her world. To defeat them, Celaena must find the strength to not only fight her inner demons but to battle the evil that is about to be unleashed.
- - - -
I know I'm super, super late with this review. Is work even a valid excuse for you guys? Probably not.. I know. But, when you're helping out with opening a Halloween store at a fast pace, you just can't help, but avoid the computer (or in my case, my mother's computer). So now I have a little bit of time, I shall review Heir of Fire.

So Heir of Fire, what a crazy load of a book right? I mean, you have Celaena recovering from the last bit from the last book. However, in this case, you get to explore Celaena's true history as a Fae and her family. To me personally, this book was more on the 'check point' level rather than the actual plot. I loved the characters that were introduced like Rowan. Rowan was a beautiful addition to the hotness of the gentlemen in the series. He felt perfect for Celaena with naturalness into him. You know what I mean? Sure he's older, but he's able to relate to Celaena on a more deeper level than both Carol and Dorian since after all he is a fae warrior. Speaking of which, let's discuss them now.

The prince and captain are rekindling their friendship after Dorian found out about the secrets Carol and Celaena were keeping from him. I didn't feel that they were that important to the book, but once the scenes between them kept going, I grew loved them a lot more because I started to root for them. It added on to them being loyal to Celaena and figuring out a way to stop the king on the down low. Plus the 'cliffhanger' before the final bits with Rowan and Celaena, holy shit I wanted to throw my book and cry in the corner. It was completely heartbreaking!

With the new character Manon, I felt that she wasn't necessary for the few chapters in the book, but at the same time I do. Its mixed I know, but hear me out. I think Manon is going to be a huge part for the last three books with her partner-in-crime. The idea of her becoming stronger is more aggressive unlike Celaena. It made me wonder if I was seeing a mirror version of our favorite heroine here. I don't know, that could just me rambling here, but you never know right? In a literary sense, the author did a good job creating the foreshadowing, but I wish I could've understand more about her other than her feeling the pressures of being the heir to her clan and her new rider.

All in all, this story was great like the rest of the series, slow but wonderfully written and exciting. I rated this 5 stars on good reads and just like the rest of you, I'm dying to get my hands on the next one. See you guys soon with a new review, happy howling!

No comments:

Post a Comment