Friday, August 21, 2015

Book Review: The Murder Complex

The Murder Complex: Written by Lindsey Cummings
Release Date: June 10th, 2014
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Format of Novel: Nook
Summary (From goodreads): Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?

Rating: 4.2/5 stars on good reads

- - - -
Normally I would post the cover on here, but the website or my mother's laptop is being odd so this blog is the first without a photo. Sorry in advance! I also know that I haven't been around to post reviews, work have been confusing and I got suck into the writing world for a few days. Now on to the review. The Murder Complex was fast paced, especially when I read it for the booktube-a-thon. I enjoyed the idea Lindsey Cummings came up with in terms of the world building and sci-fi elements that adapted into Meadow and Zephyr's world. The characters Meadow and Zephyr were pretty cool, but in a dystopian novel, they seemed pretty typical. Almost like in my eyes, Day and June from the Legend Trilogy by Marie Lu with Meadow being the trained assassin and Day being the 'rebel' so to speak.

The twists Lindsey had in the first book were somewhat predicable if you close read it in a way, but I enjoyed them. They were fitting for the corrupted world in the novel and executed very well. I also enjoyed the pacing considering that the chapters between the two narrators were very short. It was balanced and not really annoying to the point you just wanted to kick someone in the face. It matched the tone of the story and the action scenes that went on throughout the story.

This story was an interesting read overall, but it wasn't my top favorites of this year. Only because I felt it being very similar to the Legend trilogy (minus the world setting of the story). I will be continuing the series when I can, but this author is a sweet woman and her you tube video are hilarious if you are looking for something to watch when sitting around. Check out this book if you are just beginning to jump on the dystopian train. Happy howling everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment